1. DETERMINE A GUEST LIST
Make sure all invitees have something in common or are somewhat alike in personality or interests.
(I list this tip as number 1 because it will insure that, "a good time is had by all").
Be sure to send out invitations with RSVP deadlines to all guests via email, phone, fax, or post office.
Specify whether the invitation includes the invitee only or the invitee and a guest.
(it is essential to know the amount of people who will attend in order to correctly determine amounts of food, beverages, & supplies needed).
2. DETERMINE A BUDGET.
Make sure it includes: food, beverages, place settings, games, and caterer or coordinator if needed.
3. CHOOSE A THEME THAT COVERS THE FOOD AND DECORATIONS
Holiday themes, Seasonal themes, National themes, Religious themes
Occasion (anniversaries, baby showers, birthdays . . .) ThemesThemes add continuity to the event and make guests feel comfortable and festive.
4. IF YOU ARE HAVING AN EVENT FOR 30 OR MORE GUESTS, EMPLOY AN ASSISTANT OR CATERER.
This is essential for most events of 30 or more because the amount of detail involved can be overwhelming for a hostess. This tip is especially important if you are entertaining clients, employees or guests
With which you are unfamiliar. When comparison-shopping for a caterer or coordinator, be sure & ask what services are included in the price of their cuisine. This is the best way to get the most value for your money.
5. BE SURE ALL GUESTS HAVE EXPLICIT DIRECTIONS TO THE EVENT & A PHONE # THAT WILL BE ATTENDED.
6. BE SURE TO PLAN ACTIVITIES & ENTERTAINMENT THAT INCLUDE THE INTERESTS OF ALL YOUR GUESTS.
Games, music, and other universal diversions
Charades, trivial pursuit, identification famous name games, jazz, classical & easy listening.
7. BE SURE ALL LAST MINUTE DETAILS ARE COMPLETED BEFORE THE START TIME OF YOUR EVENT.
Your event is sure to be a success if you are organized and prepared.
8. BE SURE ENTIRE HOME OR PARTY SITE IS PREPARED OR GUESTS...WITH PLENTY OF AVAILABLE RESTROOMS.
There is no need for embarrassing moments: such as a soiled bathroom, and have a plunger on hand.
Hire a housekeeping service for the day before if need be.
9. ALWAYS HAVE EXTRA SUPPLIES FOR UNINVITED GUESTS.
Food, Place settings, Beverages
10. GREET EVERY GUEST AT THE DOOR WARMLY WITH A POLITE COMPLEMENT.
If you don't have time to greet all your guests, appoint an assistant greeter to help with this task.
Its a great idea to personally introduce each guest to someone they don't know. Include a short verbal bio for each. If you or your "assistant" can find the time for this tip, I highly recommend it!!
Most of your guests will make a decision with in the first 5 minutes whether or not the party was a success based upon how comfortable they felt at the event.
11. ALWAYS HAVE A FIRST-AID CLEANUP KIT ON HAND.
Club soda , Spot removal for quick carpet clean-ups, Paper towels, Alcohol, Lemon juice
12. HAVE A SECURE LOCKED ROOM FOR GUESTS TO LEAVE HANDBAGS & OTHER VALUABLES DURING THE EVENT.
This is especially important if you are unfamiliar with all your guests
The last thing you want is for one of your guests to lose a valued possession
13. IF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES ARE BEING SERVED; INCLUDE OVERNIGHT ACCOMMODATIONS OR TRANSPORTATION FOR INTOXICATED GUESTS - FOR OBVIOUS REASONS.